Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Unbelievable

I like Marketing. I studied marketing... but unlike others who are lucky, I didn't get to work in a company that places a very strong emphasis on marketing. Which is why I'm so pissed at seeing this.

Baby Formula & Nutritional Products are placed DIRECTLY opposite detergents.

Oh look, there's more detergents nearby...

I fail to comprehend the reasoning for such merchandising strategies. How the hell can you place food stuff SO DAMN CLOSE to things that are poisonous?

Rewind 10 minutes. I just had dinner with my parents, my bro, sis-in-law and baby Matthew at Kenny Roger's outlet, located at the Ground Floor of Giant, Kota Damansara. We were going to get some groceries so we went upstairs for some shopping. As we were walking along the aisles, I noticed that there were a few items on promotions and they were placed along the aisles so you can see them and therefore be tempted to buy them.

I saw a huge mountain of instant noodles placed directly opposite cleaning detergents. At first I thought to myself that "Maybe those places were already bought and paid for so the hypermarket can't really adjust the sequence and the placement of the products on display" (FMCG companies normally pay a lot for shelf space, especially for strategic locations like along the main aisles). Such things do happen, which is why sometimes when you shop at hypermarts, some products who are not related can be placed together. Its all about how much you pay that determines where you get to place your products.

When I reached the milk powder section, I was really appaled to see that AGAIN, detergents were placed so near food stuffs. I don't really know what is the rationale (if there is one) here but seriously, the merchandiser should be hanged for this. I guess I will be very careful about the food stuff I purchase from Giant at KD now.

No comments:

Post a Comment